Project Task #678
Project WP #677: WP8 - Support Blue Skills: VREs Development [Months: 1-30]
T8.1 Blue Skills capacity building [Months: 1-30]
|Status:||Closed||Start date:||Apr 11, 2016|
|Priority:||Urgent||Due date:||Mar 16, 2017|
|Assignee:||Gianpaolo Coro||% Done:|
|Lead beneficiary:||1 - CNR||Participants:||4 - UOA, 5 - FAO, 6 - ICES, 7 - IRD|
Task Leader: CNR; Participants: ICES, IRD, CNR, UOA, FAO
It develops a set of facilities that are common to all the VREs addressed by this work package. These include services, models, interfaces and datasets that can possibly serve the courses and the workshops organized during the time span of the project. Those facilities can be provided by scientists teaching courses or invited to participate in workshops or they can be made available by project partners and third-parties organizations. Within this view, the task leverages on joint activities by the partners to configure and prepare material. The resources made available will be either integrated within the D4Science e-Infrastructure or made accessible through different means, including the usage of WPS standard interfaces and OGC compliant representation of datasets.
The plan for training by relying on the required resources is expected to be prepared incrementally, starting from the needs of training events already planned at the time of the project start. Every six months this plan will be revisited taking into account the experience acquired and the demand for future training events and workshops.
#6 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 3 years ago
September 2015 Activity Report
At the Kick-off meeting, the participants clarified the scope of their involvement in this task. The participants agreed to fulfill a Wiki page to report short-term plans for the activities in T8.1.
The page still requires contribution by ICES, IRD and UoA.
During the month of September 2015, T8.1 involved the following activities:
FAO Regional data policies Workshop: a Workshop organized by FAO in the end of September, with both educational and advertising purposes. The scope of the meeting was also to introduce activities around the BlueBRIDGE infrastructure to people working especially in South-West Indian Ocean fisheries and to RFMOs. The meeting used the e-Infrastructure to share presentations and Workshop material. FAO is going to produce a final report, containing contribution by participants, with guidelines for RFMOs working in a new inter-connected environment respecting Science 2.0 requirements.
CNR has contacted the Universities that supported BB to schedule new courses for the current Academic year. Confirmation of interest was sent by UPMC (Paris VI-Sorbonne) and by University of Pisa. Feedback is still expected by Agrocampus OUEST and will probably need mediation by FAO.
CNR has proposed a new course for the current a.y. to University of Pisa, called “Signal processing and mining of Big Data: biological data as case study”. The course was accepted, but the submitted content is still under review.
CNR has activated and started an internship in collaboration with University of Salerno for a bachelor degree in Computer Science. The intern will use the BlueBRIDGE e-Infrastructure and contribute to enrich it.
#12 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 3 years ago
October 2015 Activity Report
Activity was conducted by CNR to ask BlueBRIDGE supporters to confirm their interest in hosting courses. As result, University of Pisa approved a 20 hours course in the current academic year, for the PhD in Computer Engineering. The title of the course is "Signal processing and mining of Big Data: biological data as case study"; attendees will use the e-Infrastructure to conduct experiments on large time series and geospatial datasets.
CNR was also asked to manage a lecture at the Pierre et Marie Curie (Sorbonne) University in Paris, with a later discussion with professors, and was asked for managing a longer course in March or April.
At the beginning of the month, CNR promoted the CMSY model for stock assessment at the WKLife V ICES meeting. In this meeting the e-Infrastructure was mentioned as the platform that will host this model (along with other ones) to allow other scientists use it without having prerequisite R-language knowledge. As consequence, some scientists expressed the interest to learn more, possibly through a course.
CNR is also bringing forward an internship on the BlueBRIDGE e-Infrastructure. So far, this has produced a new processing algorithm that has been added to the Infrastructure offer. The internship is using many of the collaborative tools provided by BlueBRIDGE: SVN, Maven, Workspace, RedMine ticketing system, Statistical Manager programming framework. In the end, the result of this activity will be a study plan that can be reused by other partners or exported as training practice for the BlueBRIDGE e-Infrastructure.
#20 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 3 years ago
November 2015 Activity Report
- Internship on D4Science is continuing. The trainee has learned to produce an algorithm for the Statistical Manager and has gone through the study of a number of technologies the e-Infrastructure uses: Dependency Injection, Hibernate etc. #1284
- A hands-on tutorial has been done at the EGI 2015 Forum in Bari, Italy #1284
- A lecture at the Pierre and Marie Curie University - Sorbonne (UPMC) has been done #1559
- Internal training on basic knowledge of the e-Infrastructure has been done to ICES #1560
- A new course in the PhD in Computer Engineering of the University of Pisa has been scheduled for the second semester in 2016 #1563
- A new course in the PhD in Computer Engineering of the University of Pisa has been scheduled for the 2016-2017 academic year #1564
- A new course at UPMC has been scheduled for the next academic year #1565
- An intership for a PhD student from University of Cranfield has been scheduled for the month March 2016 #1566
#23 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 3 years ago
#24 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 3 years ago
January 2016 Activity Report
- CNR held a conference call with ICES to explain CMSY and algorithms importing #1560
- In WP8 it was agreed to organise a course in Pisa on April for ICES, UoA and possibly FAO participants #1560
- CNR continued supporting a University student's internship on e-Infrastructures and geographical data interpolation. This activity has also resulted in a 1h dissemination seminar on BlueBRIDE at University of Salerno, held by the student (apart from the dissertation). This demonstrates how WP8 activity can later produce WP3 activity #1284
#25 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 3 years ago
February 2016 Activity Report
- The intenship of the University student at CNR finished. Training material and a degree thesis were produced #1284.
- CNR planned an internal course for BlueBRIDGE participants, to be held on April. Details have been published on the BlueBRIDGE website (http://www.bluebridge-vres.eu/events/course-bluebridge-e-infrastructure-12-13-april-2016-pisa-italy)
#27 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro about 3 years ago
March 2016 Activity Report
- The CNR has started hosting a PhD secondment period on Ecological Modelling and Satellite Data Analysis. The PhD student has started using massively the e-Infrastructure processing facilities, in order to find an automatic classification of hyporheic zones of UK rivers. This activity will finish on the 15th of April #1566
#31 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro almost 3 years ago
July 2016 Activity Report
In the month of July, CNR had a meeting with the Director of the PhD in Computer Engineering at University of Pisa, to propose a course for the next Academic year. The name of the course would be "Using e-Infrastructures for Biodiversity Conservation". A written proposal presenting the course was presented to the PhD college.
#41 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro almost 2 years ago
July-August 2017 Activity Report
No courses have been done in these months, but CNR has discussed about the possibility to do a course in Paris at UPMC and/or at the Natural History Museum in November with Nicolas Bailly, affiliated to these institutions. In September, CNR will contact the University #1565
Further, a formal request to manage a course named "Big Data Analytics and Signal Processing: Biological Data as a Case Study" at the PhD in Computer Engineering in Pisa, was sent to the PhD course Director #9557
#44 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 1 year ago
November 2017 Activity Report
CNR, NOAA, WECAFC and FAO contributed to the FAO course on Stock Assessment in terms of technology and also with practical support at the meeting. The course included T8.1 effort by CNR and also a lecture with consequent hands-on activity. About 20 representative scientists mostly from developing countries participated to the course and heavily used the SDG14.4.1 VRE and e-Infrastructure (CMSY, ELEFAN and other models). NOAA/WECAFC contributed a faster CMSY version accessible through a RShiny interface, FAO co-developed the RShiny App and integrated several R-based models.
Furthermore, the stock assessment course allowed CNR to talk about the CMSY model and its recent results presented at the EU Parliament #10195
FAO is discussing the use of a similar VRE (with more features) to be used as an e-learning environment.
#46 Updated by Gianpaolo Coro over 1 year ago
February 2018 Activity Report
A lecture was held in Malta on 14-16 Feb. by Università Politecnica delle Marche #11205. The lecture was part of a professional course on research diving in collaboration with other EU projects. It regarded underwater photogrammetry and surveys. The teacher built up a public Web interface for the students to upload data on the Workspace, and during the nights they run 3D reconstructions of the photos collected during the day. This activity has made us reach the KPI of course for students.
CNR has begun supporting online training through a specific set of VRE applications, designed both for students and teachers #10836